Not only one, but most people experience sleep disturbances thereby requiring the help of a sleep aid. Any age group experience such problem and can lead to serious health problems. People who have problems with sleeping report frequent illnesses, crankiness, accidents, depression, and difficulty concentrating on work and school. Some people may not have problems with sleeping but others have severe difficulty that this even affects their mood and interaction with other people. If you are one of those who have trouble sleeping at night but would like to try natural sleeping pills, read this article further.
Causes of Sleep Disturbances
Somnipathy or sleep disorder is recognized as a medical problem involving the sleeping patterns of an animal or a human being. In order for a sleep problem to be determined, a diagnostic test called polysomnography is done. There are many issues that lead to sleep disorders. Some of the factors and causes for sleep problems are enlisted below:
- Insomnia. This is the chronic difficulty of trying to fall asleep or sustain sleep but there is no definitive cause.
- Hypopnea Syndrome. Involves decreased respiratory rate or shallow, abnormal breathing while sleeping
- Cataplexy. This is the sudden motor muscle weakness resulting to a collapse
- Rapid Eye Movement Behavior Disorder. Dramatic or violent dreams acted out while in rapid eye movement
- Sleep Apnea. Happens with the airway obstruction while sleeping that causes disturbance in achieving deep sleep. This is often accompanied by snoring wherein the air does not enter the lungs and the person unconsciously gasps air where it disturbs sleep.
Kinds of Natural Sleep Aid
Sleeping is the gift imparted to the human body in order to revive the body and enhance its energy. This is also important to the daily life cycle since any sleep disturbance can lead to harmful consequences of the natural functioning. Prescribed medicines to enhance the quality of sleep are given to patients but may have harmful effects with long-term use. Nonetheless, there are natural methods that can help a person achieve the best sleep, which are the following:
- Valerian. This is an herb known to lessen the time you need in falling asleep. This also increases the sleep duration but is reported to generate the mild headaches and grogginess following use. Valerian use is not reported to have any side effects but only prolonged and pleasant sleep.
- Melatonin. Nowadays, this supplement has been very popular in the market due to its efficiency to increase sleep duration and decrease the time for falling asleep. Melatonin is naturally produced in the body and responsible for the maintenance of sleep cycle. This also lessens the symptoms of sleep disorders. Nonetheless, the average dosage of melatonin is only a maximum of 3 months.
- 5-hydroxytryptophan. Another version derived from tryptophan that is known to induce sleep and lessen depression.
It is important that you verify the effectiveness and quality of any sleeping pills you are using since the side effects may not be tolerated by the body. It is still advised for any person to consult the physician before taking any sleeping aid medication.